Friday, December 2, 2011

Up, Up & Away

To anyone back home, I apologize it's been so long. As usual, it's been the craziest month and a lot has happened....so if you have 5 minutes, strap in!

My last post was in early October, and considering today is December eh, something....it's been quite a while. (I've been living in dog years, at least it seems like it). But I ended the last post as I checked in to my hotel room in Kansas City. Since then, I have been "drinking from a fire hose" as people here tell me--and I couldn't have said it better myself. After Kansas City, I traveled to Columbia, Missouri--home of Mizzou. Not only was I able to learn about the Columbia market & wholesalers, but I was also able to sample the college town. By that, I mean go out ridiculously hard until 2 am on a Thursday night (for you college students, that's a big deal now) only to be present and functioning at a Sales Meeting starting at 6 am 45 minutes away. Dear Mom, if you're reading this, that's slang for went to bed early and had a hearty breakfast in the morning...I promise.

So then, I come back to St. Louis and work for a couple weeks more and blah, blah, blah.

Then, the long-awaited, strongly anticipated Sales And Marketing meeting in Dallas ("SAMCOM"). Let me just say, Dallas was nuts! I arrived in town on Sunday morning and traveled to my hotel to only find out I had an amazing view from my balcony that included the rest of the skyline, 3 McDonalds within sight (gotta scope out that late night beer food...but seriously, Three? Is that necessary?), and a great location to bars & restaurants (most importantly).

The first night we hit the hotel bar with the rest of A-B, had a few dozen drinks with great people, and attempted to cash in early to have a legitimate shot at a successful day at SAMCOM. Upon arriving at the convention center, we were greeted by way too good-looking "ushers". Turns out A-B hired all models to help us to our seats ha ha too funny. But at the convention, Anheuser-Busch introduced Bud Light Platinum to the wholesalers. For those of you unfamiliar with Platinum, get ready...it will be your beer of choice in no time.

As it was introduced, 300 concessionaires walked in the doors of the convention center/stadium with two cases of Platinum each. As the convention continued, we sat, listened, and did 12 oz. descending bicep curls (12 oz., 10 oz., 8 oz.......). Bud Light Platinum is great. Can't wait for you all to try it. It comes in a cobalt blue bottle and tastes amazing...not to mention it is actually 6% alcohol. It launches at the end of January and will be featured as a Super Bowl commercial...so heads up! Okay, that was my plug....



But yeah, they came through and served us all beer. Little did we know, that would be the first of many that night. We hit the hotel bar, another bar and then X amount of beers later, we were at the McDonalds walk through ordering McNuggets--all on a Monday night. But what a great time. It was a blast meeting all new people with such different backgrounds/experiences.

The next day was filled with more successful meetings, consisting of a marketing presentation outlining each brands actions for the 2012 business year. How exciting! No seriously, it was. Let me just say...Shocktop is going to have an incredible campaign and as an advertising major, I loved hearing about it.

So that brings me here to say that I move out of my St. Louis apartment tomorrow to take on the challenging markets of Southwest Missouri. Springfield, Mo will be my home for now...talk about stress. Not only do I have to begin a new role, but now I'll have to find a place to live, move out, return the cable and furniture...the whole sh-bang.

-------
UPDATE:

I started writing this post from my couch in St. Louis, and it looks like I'm going to be finishing it here from Candlewood Suites in Springfield, MO (Is that a plug? Can I get money for that?). I got into town today and checked in around 4:00PM. After telling them I work for Anheuser-Busch (they asked, I don't know why) they wanted to negotiate a corporate rate and asked if that was okay. Um, aren't I supposed to ask for that?! Anyways, they dropped the rate $20/night and I'm definitely down with that. I almost like free stuff as much as my Mom.  Looks like that's one business deal down--many, many to go.

But I have a meeting tomorrow morning bright and early and then will continue looking for an apartment. I actually viewed one today as soon as I got in town and told the lady showing me the apartment that I felt like I was on HGTV. She didn't laugh...

It was good seeing everyone last week and hope to see everyone over Christmas break! I'll be home around the 22nd. First rounds on me!

Peace. Love. Bud Lightbeer.



--Ry

No comments:

Post a Comment